I know it isn’t quite summer yet, (or even spring for that matter), but I make these smoky sweet potato patties year round. They can be eaten as a burger with a bun, lettuce, and tomato, or you can eat them like Gracie and I do; bun-less with avocado and your favorite BBQ sauce for dipping!
The best part about these is that they’re toddler-approved. I’ve been making them for Grace since she was around a year old. As a small babe, it was one of her favorite foods, and now as an almost three-year-old she still eats these all the time!
Smoky Sweet Potato Patties
The ingredients for these are super simple. You start out with roasted sweet potatoes (which only takes seconds to prepare) and then some mashed white beans. After, all you have to do is mix up the ingredient, form the patties, and you can throw them in the oven! It’s one of the easiest things to make ahead, as part of meal prep, and they freeze super well!
SMOKY SWEET POTATO PATTIES RECIPE
The smoky flavor comes from one of my favorite flavorful spices, smoked paprika! It makes it so these taste a tiny bit spicy, and make them deliciously smoky. They’re crispy on the outside and soft and flavorful on the inside. You can either bake them in the oven or cook them in a skillet. Either way, the end result is divine. I hope you or your family enjoy these as much as we do!
*Makes 12 patties
2 cups of roasted sweet potatoes
- 1 15 oz. box/can of cannellini beans, drained
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed + 2.5 tablespoons warm water, mixed)
1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs (or your favorite crackers pulsed into a flour in food processor)
1/3 cup oat flour (or you can use buckwheat, wheat, all-purpose, gluten-free; this recipe is foolproof)
1 1/2 tsps. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Himalayan pink salt (or sea salt)
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Roast the sweet potatoes in the oven. Preheat the oven to 450° F. Take 2-3 sweet potatoes and wash them thoroughly with skin on. Do not dry them, and then poke holes in them with a fork. Put them in the oven and set the timer for 45 minutes to an hour. You’ll know they’re done when you can easily pierce them with a fork.
- Mash the cannellini beans. In a large bowl, mash them up.
- Add the sweet potatoes. Remove the skin of the sweet potatoes and measure out two cups. They will be very soft, but that’s okay because you’re going to mix everything up anyway.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Add the flax egg, Panko bread crumbs, oat flour and all of the spices. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Form into patties. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. With wet hands, take about 1/3 cup of the mixture and gently shape them into patties. The mixture will be soft, that’s why you keep your hands wet; to keep it from sticking. These measurements make about 12 patties.
- Bake at 375° F for around 15 minutes. Then flip them and cook for another 15 minutes on the other side. I honestly like to watch them to see if they’re crisping up. If they’re crispy, but not burning, you’ll know they’re ready!
- Serve and enjoy!
SHOP THIS POST:
I hope you loved this smoky sweet potato patties recipe! If you do decide to try it out, please use the hashtag #LivinginColorEats on your photos and Instastories so I can see your beautiful food photography + see your review!
If you enjoyed reading this post, please consider pinning one of the images below so that other people can find this recipe and enjoy it too!